Monday, November 2, 2009

"I hate pretty girls. How much longer do you guys have to stay?"

This weekend's Picture People gig brought me to a dying Petco on a busy commercial highway in Montgomeryville, Pennsylvania. Last week, the staff at the dying Petco in Willow Grove assured us that customers were plentiful, nicer, and looser with their money in Montgomeryville--you know that old saying, "the fur is always softer in the other Petco." This pet store was anything but prosperous, so needless to say, my days there weren't fruitful.
Friday:
No one showed much interest in pet portraits (surprise!) and we had one photography session all day. It involved 3 huge dogs--I snagged the customer, I took the pictures, I made the sale...did I mention I have a partner? 
At the end of the night, while we were packing up, the manager's 18-weeks-pregnant daughter came over with a coworker from her job next door for a smoking break (I know). Her coworker, Abe--he was dressed like Abraham Lincoln--asked for my name and said I looked familiar, so I told him that I get that all the time (which is absolutely true). He asked what our purpose was there and what the photo packages were, talked about all his many animals, said it was nice to meet us, and left to go smoke some more with the pregnant girl. The door had barely closed behind Abe when the manager, Beth, ran up to me and this is what followed:

Beth (gruff voice, abrasive tone)- "Yeah, so he's interested."
Me (fully aware of what was meant but completely opposed to admitting it)- "Oh! He wants a portrait?"
Beth- "No. He's interested in you. Ugh, God, does this happen everywhere you go? I hate pretty girls; you make me look bad. So, what's your deal? Are you seeing someone? Care to mess around on the side if you are?"
Me (knowing full well I have two more days to spend here and trying to diffuse the situation)- "Oh, how nice of him...!"
Beth- "He's super tall and works next door with my daughter!"
Me (wondering why she's telling me things I just saw with my own eyes...)- "Where do they work?"
Beth- "Oh my god, are those your real eyelashes? Ugh, when are you guys leaving? I hate pretty girls. They work at 6th Avenue Electronics. You could get a free television out of this...oh, and he drives a Mini Cooper."
Me (packing up my photography equipment at record speed)- "If I ever move out here to Montgomeryville, it's nice to know I have someone."


No comments:

Post a Comment