Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"Can I get a diet water, please?"

Saturday:  
 Absolutely nothing happened at Petco. Seriously. It was Halloween, no one wanted pictures taken, and all I wanted to do was go home, become Cleopatra, and celebrate with friends.

My Halloween transformation was more drastic than I ever could have anticipated. The bar's manager selected me for a VIP costume contest--A.K.A. a rump-shaking competition involving silly guys in creative costumes and hot girls in smutty costumes. I feel bad that the manager mistook me for a hottie and in an effort to show that I'm a classy broad (as exemplified below) I chose to not take part, but I kept my invitation to the contest for written proof that I'm better than you.






Sunday:
If it was super hard for me to wake up and get going the morning after my sex, drugs, and rock n' roll-ish Halloween, it must have been nearly impossible for my Picture People partner. When she showed up about an hour late, she looked like death and I was all, "Helloooo...Halloween was yesterday, duh." PPL told me that her night was terrible because her friends that she was so excited to see "ditched me for blow" (I have to put that in quotes because I can't take myself saying "blow" seriously, but that's exactly how she put it). This is also about the time when all my suspicions about her turned out to be completely justified--she admitted she was in recovery for cocaine abuse. I'm a regular Sherlock Holmes!!

The good and bad thing about this job is that there's a lot of downtime. If you're having a bad day, like PPL obviously was, you have time to cope with and try to solve your problems because you have a partner to pick up the slack and there are lots of times when there are absolutely no costumers in the store. On this day, however, PPL took this downtime just a smidge too far by:
  •  arriving an hour late,
  •  falling asleep at our makeshift sales desk for twenty minutes,
  • disappearing for an hour during what is supposed to be her thirty-minute lunch break,
  • and admitting that the cause of her long break was that she took a nap in the backseat of her car.
Monday and Tuesday:
These were days one and two of my sheer stockings experiment at the diner. Not to toot my own fabulous horn, but I made more money than I've ever made before (besides the time my family came in and tipped me $50)--like three times more. Though I have noticed an increased amount of ocular attention in the direction of my legs, I'm sure there's no actual connection between the increased visibility of my limbs and customers' generosity, because that just seems silly...but I will continue to wear sheer black stockings for the remainder of my employment there. Today marks day three of the experiment. I will keep you posted.

This week I planned to give the diner my two weeks' notice. Don't cry; I still want to continue serving, I'd just prefer a classier, higher-paying venue. After this week's shifts though, I have mixed feelings. As previously mentioned, I've been getting better tips than ever (though I know I could get even better tips elsewhere), the past few days have brought some really great customers, and I've had people ask for my name so they can request me in the future (this may sound like a sickeningly sweet Sally Field Academy Award speech-type thing to say, but it touches me to know that they like me, they really like me). One table said I was a great waitress and assumed I had been working there forever; they also said they hoped I kept getting promoted...but really, isn't quitting and finding a better job basically a food industry promotion?

A man at my last table on Monday night supplied a few corny gems that are necessary to share:
  • "Can I get a diet water, please?"
  • "Could you spill me some more coffee?"
  • "Would you get me the Shepherd Special? That's coffee and a piece of 'ewe'."





1 comment:

  1. "...That's coffee and a piece of 'ewe'"

    ahahhahahahahahaha. awesome.

    ReplyDelete