Monday, October 12, 2009

"Oh, Chit!"

DGD has worked at this diner for 20 years. I won't be working at this diner for 20 years. DGD is set in her ways. I'm still learning what works for me. DGD likes to constantly bestow her expansive, unwanted wisdom upon anyone with auditory senses. I know every moment in the diner is an opportunity for her to relay her experiences and I don't have to heart to tell her I could not care less about most of what she has to say.
 
DGN (who I shall now refer to as DGS2 because I've discovered her name) is bipolar. There's nothing wrong with this and she's actually one of my favorite coworkers...it just explains a lot (see previous entries). Here's a recent exchange between she and I:
    • Me: "Do you have big plans for tonight?"
    • DGS2: "Well, my 27 year old boyfriend just dumped me and I waited on two of my ex boyfriends today, so my plan is to go home, smoke a ton of weed, and fall asleep in my own bed. What about you?"
    • Me: "I'll probably go home and play with my cats or something."
Don't get me wrong, Mean Boss is scary, but mostly by reputation. When he starts walking in my direction, I immediately attempt to busy myself in any way possible, so I spend a lot of my shift feeling anxious that this will be the time he decides to yell at me for something. He seems to genuinely like me though and I believe it's simply because I take the time to ask him how his day is going:
    • Mean Boss (imagine a thick Greek accent): "How you doing, babe?"
    • Me: "I'm good! How are you?"
    • Mean Boss (now with a pleasantly surprised look on his face): "I'm good. If you good, I'm good. If you lousy, I'm lousy." 
Mean Boss noticed that DGHN's skirt was really of the short black denim variety and reprimanded her in the middle of the diner, in front of patrons. Like any waitress at this establishment, she could not take this criticism lying down and began to make a scene in the middle of the restaurant, calling out other waitresses who don't wear the provided uniform skirt and accusing Mean Boss of singling her out. This little tantrum acted as a catalyst for a great uniform reform movement, and now we all have to wear the big, frumpy skirts we had all immediately discarded upon acquisition. Everyone got pissy with Mean Boss, but really, shouldn't they have been mad at DGHN for making her small, insignificant critique have an effect on every other female worker?






    No comments:

    Post a Comment