Thursday, September 24, 2009

"Tonight, You've Puzzled Me."

Ever the academic, I go to free trivia night at a bar. I take pride in expanding my already insanely vast intellect, and the first place $50 gift card ain't bad either. Though most people my age go to bars to find a temporary or permanent mate, I don't go to trivia to impress--I go to trivia to win.

This week I left my shift at the diner and drove straight to the bar, where I swapped my waitressing clothes for more acceptable bar attire (I hoped my argyle turtleneck sweater gave off enough J.Crew-inspired sagacity to discourage other teams from signing up). Team Tenacious C was born, consisting of Chrissie, Beast, Megan and me. Apparently my choice of ensemble was working like a charm, as Beast was puzzled by my appearance, saying I looked like a mom and he wasn't sure what I was "trying to do here." Not far into the trivia game, a waitress dropped off another round of drinks from an unidentified male at the bar. Of course this mysterious gift of fresh alcohol made for a fun guessing game, though I suspect it dulled our collective brilliance and lessened our drive to win. After what I can only assume was a covert operation across enemy lines, the waitress came back to expose the mystery-drink-buyer; needless to say, we successfully did our best to avoid any eye contact once we learned his identity. When it came time to leave the bar, however, direct contact proved itself to be unavoidable, mostly because of his subtle approach of bee-lining directly toward me and tapping me on the shoulder and handing me several little sheets of paper.

Sheet 1: The only reason your table got extra drinks is because I think you might be one of the top 10 PRETTIEST girls I've ever seen in my entire life.
Sheet 2: I know that's really weird to say. Unfortunately my life has led me to the point of writing pointless notes. But I promise...I'm not as weird as it seems.
Sheet 3: If by any unbelievable chance you like (or love) the Beatles and the Phillies-my # is...
Sheet 4: Appreciate the power of your prettiness (if that is a word). You could rule the world with your smile. Seriously.

We didn't win, but I still consider the night a success. Beast didn't seem to share my feelings on the evening, again expressing his confusion: "Tonight, you've puzzled me."





No comments:

Post a Comment